Tips & Tricks

I can easily say that chemotherapy completely knocked me off my feet and the first few weeks were a complete struggle and a whirlwind of emotions. I am writing this now after completing 7 sessions with 5 to go and I thought it may be worthwhile writing a few tips and tricks for people who are going through or will be starting chemotherapy soon.

On Chemo day...
  • Make sure you have snacks throughout the day as it can be a long day and hospital food isn't the best. 
  • Ginger sweets! Ginger can help beat nausea. Chemotherapy (especially ABVD) can cause nausea and sickness and ginger has been noted to help relieve the symptoms.
  • Water & bottle. I drink loads of water on the day as it is important to keep hydrated and can also help with  the sickness too. I also take a bottle with me so I can refill this throughout the day at the machines. It also is important to keep hydrated for them to get a cannula in too. 
  • Mini cordial. If you don't like the taste of water, Robinsons and Oasis do mini bottles of cordial. 
  • Colouring Book/Ipad/Book/Cards/Nintendo Switch. These are all things I take on the day to keep me occupied as it can be a long and boring day for all involved. I find it good to have stuff to keep me busy 
  • PICC Line! I had a PICC line for 5 treatments. For me, it has been a bit of a drama because the District nurses have struggled with it and there have been problems taking blood and flushing the line. However a PICC line can make your treatment a lot easier. You are able to take blood from it and have chemo through it which is nicer on your veins and can make it easier. If you do decide to get one, order a Limbo PICC cover for the shower/bath. 

Following Chemo...
  • Following chemo, one of the side effects is a sore mouth where it can feel sore, red and painful for you. It can also change your taste buds which is annoying!
    • Difflam is amazing! It is a mouthwash which is a mouthwash with anaesthetic that can soothe and numb your throat. It can be prescribed by your doctor. 
    • Ice Lollies help soothe the mouth.
    • Sensitive toothbrush. Instead of using an electronic toothbrush or a hard one, I use a soft toothbrush (by Sendosydne) to protect teeth and gums.
    • Duraphat toothpaste can be prescribed too as chemotherapy can cause the enamel to breakdown on your teeth so this will help protect them, after 6 chemo sessions, my teeth are still in great condition. 
  • Epsom Salt for aching legs and arms! One thingI struggle with is my aching legs, arms and shoulders and it is one of the recurrent side effects. Epsom salt baths really help with this!
  • Omeprazole for Heartburn. I had been getting heartburn badly following chemo and have been prescribed Omeprazole. so don't deal with it unnecessarily!
  • Movicol if you can't poo!
  • Routine! It is really important to have a routine throughout chemotherapy to keep your brain healthy and sane. I ensure that I get up shower and get changed into comfortable clothes most days
  • Exercise. I know the last thing you would want to do is exercise however it is really important to go out and get some form of exercise whether it is going for a walk or a run. Fresh air is great for your mind, body and general health, however I was advised not to go to the gym or swimming due to bacteria and  the risk of infection.
  • These are a few things that have helped make my life a bit easier going through chemo over the past few months! 

Laura x 

Comments